May 14, 2014

Random Wordplay for Wednesday 5/14/14

Pickleball.

Used in a sentence:  "I may not be the most athletic minded and it may be true that I technically could have been held back my senior year of high school for missing more gym classes than allowed [thanks again Mr. H for not turning me in and waiving that technicality] ... but I thought I had at least been exposed to most major sports I'd see in the paper ... until moving to Florida and seeing the ad seeking pickleball players."

Of course, I had to head to the google and the youtube and the other places on the interwebs where random facts are gathered to learn of this sport that has been around longer than I've been in existence named after a puppy dog called Pickle who used to chase the ball and inspired out of boredom at a family event that is some kind of hybrid of badminton, tennis and ping pong.

And literally moments ago, I just read about the sport of footgolf, also headed to Florida (players hit soccer balls around a golf course with the aim of having the fewest kicks to get it inside an enlarged hole on the green.)  Not that either of these are headed to the Olympics any time soon ... but hey, people probably said that about curling at some time, no?

So maybe I should commit to a new athleticism and go learn me some pickleball!

TAG LINE ... A FUNNY NAME ... A *SERIOUS* SPORT:
http://www.usapa.org/

WATCH IT IN ACTION:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2KNhIgOkXM

AND COMING SOON (MAYBE TO YOUR NECK OF THE WOODS?):
http://www.footgolf.net/


No comments:

Post a Comment