May 3, 2014

Random Soapbox for Saturday 5/3/14

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... it's supposed to be "a wonderful thing *in which to invest*", no?  I mean if we're going to invest in the mind instead of letting it go to waste, we can start by infusing a little bit of grammar into the slogan.

And let me start by saying I don't want of this to be interpreted as a Sterling type scenario here.  I have nothing against the UNCF or their work ... and I also know that I type too quickly and edit too infrequently to not be guilty of my own grammar infractions along the way (I justify it by saying to myself that "it's my style").

All I'm saying is that it's such an iconic slogan ... so surely it went through a few rounds of proofing before being adopted, no?  And it's not so stilted to reorder those words and to add a "which"?  I just want to know that someone somewhere made a conscious decision to break the rules for some articulated reason ... like going after the youth who could care less about placement of the preposition ... or because the slogan needed to fit in a certain space and a word or two had to be sacrificed.

It's just that I still get a slight twinge every time I see the commercial ...

A FEW OTHER UNCF ADS THROUGH THE YEARS:
http://enjoyceinglife.blogspot.com/2013_06_01_archive.html

SUPPORT THEIR MISSION IRRESPECTIVE OF THE PREPOSITION ISSUE:
http://www.uncf.org/

LAST STEP INCLUDES WARNING TO NOT LOOK SUPERCILIOUS OR EGOTISTIC:
http://www.wikihow.com/Be-a-Grammar-Nazi




No comments:

Post a Comment