May 26, 2014

Random Memorial for Monday 5/26/14

Gone but not forgotten:  those who served.

Although I have friends and family who spent time in the military, I am also lucky (in a selfish kind of way) that all who did made it out alive ... a trend I most certainly hope continues for those serving now.

But I know there are many who can't make that statement, and my thoughts are with them on this day.  As I posted on Saturday, I spent just a little time listening in to the names of those who died in the post 9/11 conflicts, and it was both haunting and overwhelming to realize how quickly those numbers add up and how each "number" is obviously so much more than a statistic.

[BTW ... The photo is from my biological father's grave at Ft. Indiantown Gap ... although his time in the army was decades ago when he was just a young man, his service served him well in his final years of life, with the military benefits that permitted him to be in a private nursing home and to have this place in which he could rest in peace.]

Those who gave the ultimate sacrifice in service to this country ... and those who served long ago and are now a generation dying off ... you will be missed.

UMMM ... YOU MAY HAVE BROKEN THE LAW TODAY AT 3PM (SEE FACT #3):
http://time.com/110697/memorial-day-facts/

LAST YEAR'S POST:
http://capcognition.blogspot.com/2013/05/random-memorial-for-monday-52713.html

AND THE ONE BEFORE THAT:
http://capcognition.blogspot.com/2012/05/purposeful-memorial-for-monday-52812.html


No comments:

Post a Comment