April 9, 2014

Random Wordplay for Wednesday 4/9/14

Guilt tip.

Used in a sentence:  "Once again, Starbucks is leading the way in pushing us all into considering a guilt tip -- now courtesy of 'improvements' made to their mobile payment app that will make it easier to add on the extra."

I like to think of myself as a generous tipper.  :Like all erstwhile aspiring actors, I waited tables when I was in school and survived on tip money.  In my middle age, I completely understand that tipping my bartenders gets me better service and the feeling that I've paid for friendship that they are kind of obligated to return.

But it seems like, after the move, jars are *everywhere* down here in Florida -- in the strangest places ... like the local UPS mailing store.  I know the Great Recession rocked a lot of boats ... and that loose change adds up ... but I'm not about to return to an establishment that makes me feel like a chump because I've held on to my change (thus making it, literally, chump change) instead of using it to feed the tip beast.

Luckily, I'm not a frequent customer at Starbucks (unless it's hot chocolate season ... which, living where I do now ... might not be for a looong time), but unless these things go away, I fear I'm going to have start keeping another boycott list before too long.

THE NEW GUILT TIP AT STARBUCKS:
http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/chicago/news.aspx?id=229115

BEGGING AT THE POINT OF SALE:
http://www.mymoneyblog.com/tip-jars-are-everywhere-should-we-fight-back-or-give-in.html

THE TIPPING POINT WHEN IT COMES TO TIPPING:
http://dealnews.com/features/Guilt-Tipping-56-of-People-Tip-Even-If-They-Receive-Terrible-Service/735657.html


No comments:

Post a Comment