February 27, 2014

Random Thought for Thursday 2/27/14

So ... I initiated my lunch-walks from the new domicile this week ... seeing how far and to where a one hour round trip walk would take me (they are basically placeholders in my weight loss plan until I can get a bike to ride all about).  So far, I've figured out walks for due east (to the Hustler Publix ... not named because there are sex workers in the parking lot, but because it is in the same intersection as the Hustler store), due south (to my bank's ATM) and due north (to two of the bars on the routine bar crawl route ... not that I stop there over lunch, mind you).  Due west may or may not happen ... as the "westier" one goes, the sketchier the 'hood.

I've also figured out what will be my second complaint about Florida (the first was the yellow tap water ... and don't get me wrong ... the grass is *literally* greener here on this side of the where-I-live fence, but everything can't be perfect in paradise [namely, it did rain for about ten minutes today]) ... but I didn't realize how good I had it in Chitown when it came to being an empowered pedestrian.  In Chicago, not counting the early morning hours when drunk drivers and drunk walkers did a dangerous dance, pedestrians could basically pedest to their heart's content with a chip on their shoulders, knowing that the law required vehicle drivers to stop on a dime, permitting them to confidently stride into crosswalks.

Not so much here in Ft. Lauderdale.  I haven't actually seen the sign as presented in the image that accompanies this post, but, from the actions of all the drivers, I'm sure they exist and that someone somewhere is keeping score.  Sheesh.

PEDESTRIAN FRIENDLY:
http://www.activetrans.org/blog/mkohara/governor-signs-hb-43-law-pedestrian-safety-prevails

PEDESTRIAN UNFRIENDLY:
http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/transportation/blogs/the-10-most-dangerous-american-cities-for-pedestrians

OH NO ... I *MIGHT* HAVE TO WEAR SHORTS TOMORROW NIGHT:
http://www.weather.com/weather/today/Fort+Lauderdale+FL+USFL0149

No comments:

Post a Comment