February 22, 2014

Random Soapbox for Saturday 2/22/14

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... even though I may be new to the scene down here in southern Florida (which may explain it), I still don't understand why the local zoo would so proudly feature an exhibit of animals made out of Legos.

Zoos and I don't always get along as it is ... there's nothing more painful than to go past an exhibit with a big cat pacing back and forth in anxious circles ... or a polar bear doing laps almost obsessive compulsively ... instead of either animal enjoying the freedom it so deserves.  Admittedly, a few habitats have done it right, and they've managed to turn the tables so that it seems more like it's the animals who are observing the humans shuffling past their expansive areas ...

But still ... if I am going to decide to risk how I might feel and go to a zoo, you can best be assured that I'm going to want to see real animals ... not animal facsimiles.  [Unless, of course, it's a Lego giraffe that they are dismantling to feed to the Lego lions.  That might go over a bit easier than the news stories I've seen of late.]  Look -- I don't know if it's a tie-in with that movie or what, but come on, zoo-leadership ... this is really supposed to count as something to see?

DESPITE MY RANT, IT APPEARS TO HAVE A CONSERVATION BENT:
http://www.miamimetrozoo.com/articles.asp?Id=936&categoryId=1.

MEDIA COVERAGE OF THE LEGO INVASION:
http://www.local10.com/news/lego-animals-invade-zoo-miami/24177264

ARE ZOOS GOOD OR BAD ... THE ANIMAL PLANET OPINION:
http://www.animalplanet.com/animal-facts/zoos-good-or-bad.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment