January 13, 2014

Bonus Post (Gbye Chicago): Thing 18

50 Things I'll Miss About Chicago -->

Thing 18:

Zooing it up for free at the Lincoln Park Zoo.

I'll admit that zoos sometimes make me sad what with animals that pace back and forth or seem holed up in a small space ... so it takes a special one to have exhibits, where the animals actually look content to be there and where I start to buy into the thought that we are the people being observed by them instead of the other way around ... but LP Zoo goes a long way to alleviate those concerns of mine.  And this picture (from 2009) is my favorite that I took when I was learning how the fancy new camera worked back then.  I'll miss spending the afternoon there any time of year (because they also put on an outstanding holiday light show).

COUNTER:  I'm not sure that *anything* could replace the LP Zoo down in southern Florida (I got to see gators out in the glades in their natural habitat on a previous vacation, but , that same attraction also had a piss poor version of a "zoo" out back that almost ruined the memory of the trip) ... but I do have a Butterfly World, a Monkey Jungle and a Parrot Jungle all close by to check out shortly after the big move!

No comments:

Post a Comment