November 23, 2013

Random Soapbox for Saturday 11/23/13

I don't mean to go off on a rave here, but ...

... really I do, because I'm wrapping up my month long "things for which I'm thankful for" posts with this one.  To whit ... this week, I'm thankful for ...

Indiana family.  It really is the best of both worlds ... with them being situated in and around South Bend, many a weekend and almost all holidays have been spent just a short drive away from big city Chicago life.  To be clear, South Bend/Osceola/Mishawaka/etc aren't as "country" as the old homestead in Woucster OH would be ... but they do have stars there (not of the KimYe variety, but in the sky, at night, when you are outside and look up).  Plus they have dogs, and nothing against Murder the cat with whom I live, but I haven't had canine love regularly since 2008 (perhaps that sentence needs to be re-worked), so I'm always up for a visit.  Of course, there's also great people and great conversations and great relaxation and great card games and everything else that comes from visiting with family.  Here's to the holiday season ahead, and the Thanksgiving meal in just 3.5 days!

Nostalgia.  I've said it before, but I'm a first class reminiscer.  Although I'm certain I'm killing a lot of brain cells on my every-so-often bar crawls, thankfully so far they haven't been the ones that store my memories (come to think of it, it's probably the common sense cells I'm burning off, and come to think of that, I should maybe be worried as I didn't start with many of those).  Whether it's through this blog, or pulling out the files in my file room, or taking a look at my apprentice-hoarder collections of things that represent people from my past ... I like reflecting on where I've been and what I've done and whom I've met along the way.  What with middle age almost (or already?) upon me, it's those things that fuel me through the challenging times in life.  It could be that my biggest fear (were I one of the Witches of Eastwick and were Jack the devil Nicholson trying to figure out how he could get back at me in the worst possible way) is just that -- a fear of amnesia (a fear somewhat founded in how frequently I've seen it happen with so many years of DOOL watching).

Golden Tee.  Look, I'm "of the video game generation" but not proficient in video games at all.  Turns out the only joystick I ever mastered was my own [Ha!  Now I left you with that image!].  So even though I won't ever be in line for the latest release of Call of Grand Theft Fantasy, I still feel somewhat connected to my peers every time I play a video game of golf, almost always as a way to start off those bar crawls I mentioned earlier.  I'm not the best player, and I've never broken the screen with the power of my swing ... but I have developed a small bone spur over the years I've been playing on my driving hand and I do outperform my expectations when other people are gathered around to watch (and, yes, that's the opposite outcome from what happens when I'm playing with my joystick at home and people gather around to watch [HaHa!  Now I embellished that image from above!])

And with those pictures emblazoned on your mind's eye, Happy Thanksgiving week to you and yours!

"WE BARELY SEE THE STARS IN CHICAGO AND THAT'S DANGEROUS":
http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/television/13576950-421/we-barely-see-the-stars-in-chicago-and-thats-dangerous.html

SOMEONE OUT THERE REALLLLLY LOVES WITCHES OF EASTWICK:
http://okieshadow.homestead.com/Eastwick/Eastwick.html

MY BAR FRIEND, THE GOLDEN TEE MACHINE:
http://livewire.itsgames.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment