November 16, 2013

Random Soapbox for Saturday 11/16/13

I don't mean to go off on a rave here, but ...

... I guess I kind of do, as I've been raving instead of ranting every Saturday in November as my version of the FB phenomenon of daily "thankful status updates" (after all, I kind of already have my own daily thing going here).  So where was I?  Things for which I'm thankful this week include ...

Guinness.  Look, you can subscribe to whatever version of the first Tgiving that you'd like, but I just have to believe that, somewhere out in those recently harvested fields, Pilgrim Bill and Pilgrim John had sneaked out (snuck out?) to have some brewskis while everyone was cleaning up and/or passing around the hemp peace pipe, so I say that it fits in my comments about this time year (and so sad for them that they didn't have Pilgrim Arthur G on the boat to get them started on the good stuff early) .  And I *am* very thankful for the Guinness.  It has restorative powers ... it has more buzz per unit ... and it just makes me feel good when I drink it.  Thankfully, it's not an addiction that rises to the level of being an unhealthy relationship with my beer of choice (or else I'm in denial about that ... and then, by definition, I'm blissfully unaware ...), and so my chocolaty stouty goodness, how grateful I am for you.

Independence.  You might say I have a streak, and that it's always been there ... but I can definitely say that in my life, I've always been best served by a spirit freed from the shackles of needing to be like everybody else.  Don't get me wrong -- it's fascinating to observe so many different types of people and to be in so many different types of situations (that's how you learn about humanity, in my opinion), but in the end, I'd rather belong to no group and to all groups at the same time, so to speak.  I'm just fine with that ...

Vacations.  Who doesn't like some time off work to do something (or to do nothing -- either way) ... and thankfully my job allows me a flexible schedule and a benefit after ten years that creates the windows of opportunity for little getaway weekends or longer trips every now and then.  Driving in the car singing along to CD after CD, unpacking and settling in at each destination, researching random things to do and random places to eat ... I even enjoy that admin side of things. If I ever win that big money lottery that I hardly ever play, I could easily see me traveling the countryside, enjoying my Guinness everywhere I possibly could.  But until then, I'm thankful for every little getaway I got.

BREAKING DOWN THE THANKSGIVING DRINKING FEAST:
 http://www.fermentarium.com/random-news/thanksgiving-pilgrims-and-beer-myths/

WHO KNEW?  LANA DEL RE GETS ME:
http://www.vagalume.com.br/lana-del-rey/ride-monologue.html

THIS IS NOT NEWS TO A GUINNESS DRINKER:
http://www.valpolife.com/entertainment/cuisine/10762-breaking-news-beer-is-good-for-you


No comments:

Post a Comment