November 25, 2013

Random Memorial for Monday 11/25/13

Gone but not forgotten:  Mr. Charlie Trotter.

To be factual, Charlie passed three weeks ago, apparently of a stroke, and after some erratic behavior with which some media had a field day.

I think I've said this before ... but I can't officially pose as a "foodie" (despite watching Top Chef and just about every competition show on the Food Network).  That being said, I am definitely an "eatie" though, and I am fully aware of his importance to my adopted hometown of Chicago.  The closest I ever got to his culinary skills was the "Trotters To Go" (pictured above), which he opened here in the 'hood on Fullerton by DePaul's campus a year before I started living here, and which was a definite treat when we wanted to reward ourselves with something fancy back in the day (and fancy food costs extra money -- don't let that simple display case fool you).

[By the way, something else open here in the 'hood -- the Lakeview Pantry (see the link below), something I'm mentioning as part of my "It Starts With Food" Theme Week to raise awareness for those places that work to meet the needs of the hungry in the community.  If you're local, check it out (my company is headed there next week for a volunteer day).  If you're not local, use the internet to find a similar organization in your 'hood.]

Purveyor of the dish I would choose had I the choice this time of year --  "Plainville Farms Turkey Breast marinated in olive oil and fresh herbs ... then spit-roasted and finished with [a] honey-rosemary glaze", you will be missed.

CELEBRATING THE LIFE OF A CHICAGO CHEF:
http://voices.suntimes.com/import/chicago/charlie-trotter-a-timeline/

THE AFOREMENTIONED TROTTERS-TO-GO MENU:
http://chicago.menupages.com/restaurants/trotters-to-go/menu

IT'S MY "IT ALL STARTS WITH FOOD" THEME WEEK:
http://www.lakeviewpantry.org/




No comments:

Post a Comment