November 18, 2013

Random Memorial for Monday 11/18/13

Gone but not forgotten:  the Blockbuster store.

Admittedly, it's been a long slow death that's been predicted for years (I've seen its corporate logo on company slide shows for at least five years now with the warning that companies that don't change don't make it) ... but now it seems official that all stores will close.

Being a frequent reminiscer, that saddens me even if I haven't rented from them in many many years (oh my -- am I complicit in killing them), because I do know that having a Blockbuster card was one of the first "adult" things I added to my wallet (back in the days when people carried those around), and because there was many a time where we would stumble into the one store on 422 E back in the hometown of /Lep'nun/ PA to choose something to watch for the night (with my friends) or we would take a more measured stroll around the perimeter to investigate and evaluate every new release with my family to craft a movie marathon to watch on any given holiday (when we learned quickly to never have more than one "slice of life" film in the collection -- right Wendy and Judy W?).

Of course time marches on, and I guess the cable on-demand DVR now can fill that role (or Netflix, although I'm not an early adopter in any form or fashion, so that's probably still a good ten years off for me -- even with the frozen banana temptation of Arrested Development I've missed) ... but regardless, locales for some of my youthful memories, you will be missed.

*Breaking news -- see below -- even though they are all closing, it seems that some will stay open in Alaska or on the Mexican border, should your need for rentals take you to either place ...*

WHAT'S THIS?  BREAKING NEWS ABOUT A FEW REMAINING BLOCKBUSTERS:
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304448204579185702090813172

YOU MUST BE OF A CERTAIN AGE TO REALLY APPRECIATE THIS:
http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/11/17/a-blockbuster-swan-song-snl-mourns-the-end-of-an-era/

CAN YOU STILL HAVE MOVIE MARATHONS WITHOUT A BLOCKBUSTER?:
http://confessionsofahombebody.wordpress.com/2013/03/04/top-10-movie-marathons/

No comments:

Post a Comment