October 30, 2013

Random Wordplay for Wednesday 10/30/13

Facebook Ephemera.

Used in a sentence:  "I sometimes struggle with the nomenclature used on the old Facebook, but I think I've finally settled on how I'll refer to things from now on ... I'll call it all the Facebook Ephemera."

Good old Zuckerberg may have been pushing things a bit when he decided that all "connections" in his program would be "friends", because, let's just get truthful and admit that not everyone connected to me deserves that classification.  In addition to "friends", I have family and distant family and family from whom I've distanced myself and colleagues and former co-workers and erstwhile employees and acquaintances and classmates (from almost thirty years of various educational programs, since I fought tooth and nail from having to leave that world) and shells-of-those-whom-I-once-knew-well and people I'm monitoring until I have to report them to the authorities for an overzealous stridency evidenced in some status updates that cross a line (or two ... or five) and maybe even one or two enemies whom I somehow still haven't unfriended and who have not somehow unfriended me.

In a virtual world where creative output is disposable, and comments appear and disappear at the whim of the people, and virtual profiles exist and then get deleted after folks read the current trendy version of the privacy scares that go around, I've just decided to embrace the fact that, as we all become more isolationally insular in an internet-fueled existence, everything and everyone out there is at risk of becoming e-detritus that simply has no permanency and that just ... fades away ... i.e.  Facebook Ephemera.

[And, to end on a slightly more upbeat note, I may consider you and that which you post to be Facebook Ephemera, but hey, you're *my* Facebook Ephemera!]

HOW TO MANAGE YOUR FEED:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/258608/seven_tips_for_spicing_up_your_facebook_news_feed.html

THE GOVERNMENT'S IN THE EPHEMERA BUSINESS:
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/rbpehtml/

NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH EPHEMERA (THE ROCK BAND) ON FACEBOOK:
https://www.facebook.com/EphemeraMusic

No comments:

Post a Comment