October 2, 2013

Random Wordplay for Wednesday 10/2/13

Scuppered.

Used in a sentence:  "I learned a new word, and just in time too:  scuppered."

I looove to add words to my vocab (thanks again Mrs. Mills for my 9th AND 12th grade Word Wealth exercises that created a life long love of a large lexicon) ... and when I saw the headline on the Reuters news app on my phone last weekend about how Berlusconi had scuppered the Italian government by pulling out his ministers, I first thought that it was a typo or a malapropism (and that the reporter intended the word scuttled), so I actually went looking on the interwebs to verify what it was and was pleased to find that it was an old Naval term in the vein of "purposefully sinking the ship".

Full circle -- I now get to use the new word I learned -- and not when talking to others about the poor Italian government (especially since that occasion hasn't happened yet), but instead, thankfully, when discussing how our own government got scuppered this week!  Yay!  (Well, "yay" for having an opportunity to use my new word ... not so "yay" for those who are suffering due to the furloughs and the shutdowns courtesy of  leadership that prefers scuppering to leading ...)

THE SOURCE FOR THIS ADDITION TO MY LEXICON:

TO SEE THIS IN ACTION, WATCH "RAISING HOPE", FRIDAYS ON FOX:

I WOULD HAVE KNOWN THIS MUCH SOONER HAD I READ THIS BEFORE:

No comments:

Post a Comment