October 1, 2013

Random Tune for Tuesday 10/1/13

Woo-hoo!

It's October!

I'm eight weeks into my P Jam Jam countdown and therefore very close to the end, what with this week being the 8th studio album release from which I'll choose tonight's tune -- the album that always makes me hungry for homemade guacamole.

And what tune do I pick?  The ones that rage against the war (this was released in 2006, during the Iraq War) or against economic downfall (sadly, "Unemployable" ended up being prescient of times in the Great Recession and beyond)?  Or -- since anyone who knows me and knew me during the end of 2012, knows and knew that I also enjoy counting down to the apocalypse, so "World Wide Suicide" seems like a natural fit for a "random" selection.

But no, the song choices I've made over the last few weeks clearly point to me choosing something more introspective and hyper-emotional (because P Jam delivers it all, yo).  So what?  "Parachutes", "Come Back" or "Inside Job"?   All in the running, but none compare to the feeling I get when driving alone on a road, with everything I came from and everything that made me and everyone I knew in the rearview mirror, quite literally behind me ... and everything ahead of me unknown but fully embraced.  To be clear, I'm grateful for all that came before, and I've got nothing against my past that has brought me to my present (and I sure do love to visit and I'm overdue to return) ... but I'm also ever so inspired by the freedom to pick up and try all things new.

And every time I return, it's always only to leave again, and these words from "Gone" are the ones that speak to me the most ...

The lights of the city, they only look good when I'm speeding
I wanna leave em all behind me because this time I'm gone
Gone, going for it all this time, gone
In the far off distance
As my taillights fade
No one to witness but they will someday
Fell like a question is forming
And the answers
I will be what I could be
Once I get out of this town
Gone, going for it all, this time I'm gone

Introspectively emotional enough for you?

LIGHTING BOLT ARRIVES in JUST 2 WEEKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment