October 14, 2013

Random Memorial for Monday 10/14/13


[Soon to be] Gone but not forgotten:  Dominick's in Chicago.

This past weekend, the parent company Safeway announced that they were leaving this local market as they had become a liability/money-loser.  I can't say I'm surprised, as a quick review of my own history of posts foretold this future.

On 1.31.11, I shared the secret that I had cheated in that ... "Instead of the twice a month trips to Jewel, it was Dominick's that took my grocery money [What can I say -- they sent me some really good coupons.]  Ultimately, I wasn't satisfied enough to make a shop-swap, so I'll be back to Jewel soon enough.  But I still have to deal with the fact that I led some cheap food store hussy take me away from the place where my bread normally gets buttered (or margarined nowadays)."

Later that year, on 9.25.11, I was listing out my activities of that day, and included this ... "Finally, it was on to grocery shopping at the new Mariano's Fresh Market.  Somehow, this vendor manages to capture the spirit of the quality of Whole Foods meat and fish counters (without the guilt that comes with the granola lifestyle), while steering away from the lackadaisical attitude of the typical Dominick's employee (I get unions  -- but those union employees at that grocery store don't seem to ever be happy about the protections their group has gotten for them) and with the customer appreciation card savings of a Jewel firmly intact."

And just as recently as 1.23.13, when discussing the food desert phenomenon in Chicago ... "Even here in my 'hood in Chitown, I can easily walk to three Jewels, a Whole Foods, a SuperTarget and a Walmart Express (not to mention being able to quickly drive to Strack and Van Til or -- the one that currently has most-favored-grocer status, Mariano's -- or, only in a pinch when I'm prepared to deal with bad service from folks who really don't want to be working, one of a few Dominick's)."

Last resort grocery shopping location of mine, will you even be missed?

THE FAREWELL ANNOUNCEMENT:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-10-11/business/chi-dominicks-parent-leaving-chicago-20131010_1_dominick-safeway-inc-chicago-area-stores

INDUSTRY COVERAGE OF THE ANNOUNCEMENT:
http://www.popai.com/2013/10/11/safeway-announces-dominicks-leaving-chicago/

LOCATION WITH MOST-FAVORED-GROCER STATUS CURRENTLY:
http://www.marianos.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment