October 4, 2013

Random Flashback for Friday 10/4/13

20 years ago around this time, in 1993, I had left Uniontown and returned to LVC and my undergrad studies.

But, in my weekly Friday series of photos, I've been drawing out the memories of that summer as long as possible, and this week is no exception (although it will be the last photo in this series before I start posting fall 93 LVC photos next week, I promise).

Back then, I interrupted my undergrad studies ostensibly for a theater internship with my uncle's company.  But, my 18 months out in western PA gave me some of that and so much more.  I've previously posted about the jobs I had there (I transferred to the local Hills, I worked at a local haunted house, I ever so briefly had a talent agent in Columbus and auditioned for a McDonald's commercial, I waited tables at a small cafe, I started my own theater company out of spite after a falling out with my cousin, etc. etc.), and the people I met (including the kids from the local high school's graduating class that took me in as a "mascot" of sorts [what with me being a late bloomer and all], and co-workers at all of those jobs that helped a 21 year old boy act like the teenager he hadn't quite been free to be before).

But most importantly in the time I was there, I met the people who ended up being like family to me.  I've made many a reference to my "surrogate" grandmother JoAnn (RIP), and I can't close this chapter without also remembering my "older brother" influence of the time, Darren L, here pictured in late summer 1993 with his wife Dina.  [Interestingly enough, he was about to perform for yet another theater company that had issues with my cousin's business sense -- ah, the drama of those who put on drama.]  Darren taught me many things, and helped turn me into the man I am today courtesy of dozens of conversations over late night card games.

And it's him and those like him that represent how life takes you to unexpected places and doesn't tell you in advance about all of the important things that will happen to you while you're there ... a lesson learned well twenty years ago to embrace change.

No comments:

Post a Comment