September 28, 2013

Random Soapbox for Saturday 9/28/13

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... *this* is the mailbox at the end of my block (at Wilton and Grace in the heart of the Wrigleyville 'hood), and it offends me.

Digging a little deeper, I recognize that it offends me because it confuses me.  I have learned to associate that the green color on boxes like these scattered throughout the neighborhood are a sign that the receptacles are "relay boxes", for postal service use only.  And that the blue color on boxes are ones into which I'm supposed to deposit my outgoing mail (yes, I'm of the age to still occasionally make use of the services that USPS has to offer).

Which is why this box with its dissociative identity disorder throws me for a loop every damn time.

In light of this situation, I'd like to strike a deal with the USPS.  I understand that you'd like to increase the cost of postage stamps by 3 cents.  Well,  here's my 3 cents as to how I'd like you to use that 3 cent increase -- 1 penny to keep on keepin' on with Saturday delivery, 1 penny into properly funding your employee retirement plans (I have family of friends that count on those promises) and 1 penny toward the purchase of blue paint (or green paint) to solve this box's identity crisis with some sense of finality.

MORE INCENTIVE TO DO EMAIL AND ENGAGE IN ONLINE BILL PAY:
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/09/25/chart-even-with-3-cent-hike-postage-still-cheap-by-historical-standards

SOMEHOW I MISSED THAT THE DO NOTHING CONGRESS DID THIS:
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/04/10/usps-saturday-mail-delivery-stays-for-now

REFLECTIONS ON THOSE RELAY BOXES:
http://thepositivepage.com/2012/06/13/relay-mail-boxes-us-postal-history-found-on-a-walk-in-town/


No comments:

Post a Comment