September 8, 2013

Random Scandal Sheet for Sunday 9/8/13

What Chicago & Grand Rapids & Mackinaw City & Munising & Green Bay & Milwaukee & Chicago is/are talking about this week:

Seeing as how I was in each of those spots in the time frame from last Thursday afternoon to Sunday afternoon (I was on a Quest to get my feet in two more Great Lakes), I feel like I'm especially qualified to say that *these* things were discussed on that road trip ...

1.)  I knew I was in the most geographically northern point of my life to date when I spotted my first Elk Crossing sign (although, sadly, I did not see any Elks ... nor Masons ... nor Shriners ...)

2.)  I did see, and have to stop for, a collection of what turned out to be wild turkeys who wanted the road to themselves up there in the UP.  I wasn't sure what the collective noun was for said group, and, after googling it, I am sad to discover that it is not called a "jive" of turkeys, but is instead called a "rafter" of turkeys.

3.)  I'll repeat what I said on the old Facebook:  What with all the signs for "pasties" all over the U.P. of Mich, I now assume that the whole place is filled with strippers.

4.)  I now consider billboards to be a form of pollution, after spending so much time in the car and not being able to escape them.

5.)  Alternatively, I kind of came to appreciate the unique graffiti that I saw along the drive.  Gone was gangland tagging ... no murals were to be seen ... instead, graffiti was reserved for expressing the sentiments of "love" or "welcome home" to random people who must drive those roads regularly.  And, since the population was so much smaller, I kind of got the impression that the majority of the people living nearby probably knew the Sam or Maria that were part of the messages.  Quaint -- and unexpected.

Now ... on to Lake Ontario at some point in the future to close out this Quest ... with comments to be provided at that later time (assuming the interwebs are still working when that trip is made ...)

I HAD TO CHECK TO MAKE SURE BOSTON WASN'T MORE NORTHERN:
http://www.realestate3d.com/gps/latlong.htm

I SO WANTED IT TO BE CALLED A "JIVE" OF TURKEYS:
http://www.birdwatchersgeneralstore.com/TurkeyRafter.htm

THEY'RE LIKE GIANT WHITE PEOPLE EMPANADAS:
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/upper-peninsula-pasties

No comments:

Post a Comment