August 21, 2013

Random Wordplay for Wednesday 8/21/13

Aspiration to Dolittle

Used in a sentence:  "I have embraced the fact that, at my core, I have a deep seated Aspiration to Dolittle."

To be clear, the words "do" and "little" in that phrase are connected as one -- because I'm not talking about wanting to grow up to be a slacker ('tis true that when two roads diverged in my yellow wood [wait a minute -- does that sound creepy to anyone else?], I did take the one less traveled by, and it has indeed definitely made all the difference, but I've traveled it at my own pace and in my own way and even sometimes by straying from it for a time to make my own routes, even at the risk of potentially being judged by others as not having lived up to my true full potential -- because, when in the yellow woods, everyone seems to have his or her own opinion about the movements of others instead of focusing on them-damn-selves).

Nope -- I mean Dolittle in the classic Hugh Lofting sense (or, for those of you less literarily inclined, in the true Eddie Murphy sense; or, for those of you a little younger, in the true Kyla Pratt sense; or, for those of you a little older, in the true Rex Harrison sense).  Yep -- I want to be able to talk to animals.

I affirm this aspiration every day when I go for the walk to get the paper, as I tend to say hello to the squirrels or to pardon myself from the tiny birds I disturb from their dust baths next to the sidewalk as I pass.  Most times, I am able to give my greetings under my breath (which probably helps me from being stared at by the passers by).  But during the day, that precaution goes out the window, as I walked into the bathroom the other day and saw the millipede on the sink and, instead of registering surprise or defending my near-the-top-of-the-food-chain status by smashing it to bits, I said, out loud, "Hey buddy ... how did you get there?  Did you just climb out of the drain?"

And, for those of you concerned about my sanity, please know that she (or he -- maybe it was a 999,999 legged creature and I mistook a penis for that millionth limb), DID NOT reply back to me.  So I'm guess I'm not a Dolittle just yet ... but good grief ... a boy like me can dream ...

OOPS -- SOUNDS LIKE A MILLIPEDE IS BOASTING ABOUT ITS APPENDAGES:
http://www.tropicalpets.com/insects/millipede-facts/

ALL DUE RESPECT TO THE MASTER POET FROST:
http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/173536

OH RIGHT -- I FORGOT THAT MARKY MARK ASPIRES TO THE SAME THING!:
http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2011/09/the-50-best-saturday-night-live-skits/mark-wahlberg-talks-to-animals


No comments:

Post a Comment