August 5, 2013

Random Memorial for Monday 8/5/13

Gone but not forgotten:  the Jewel card.

Yep -- it hasn't been required for about a month now, but I still reflexively go to enter my phone number when I check out.

I haven't dug too much into the press to see why the program was suspended (my guess is that they were sharing information with the government and Snowden knew about and threatened to disclose it ... but that's just a hunch).  I just know it's gone -- so the big corporation spying on my little purchases must not have led to the desired outcome.

Maybe it's just a leftover relic from days when people wrote/kited checks at stores ... or maybe my frequent complaints when out of town and these establishments tried to get me to pay what I called the "tourist tax" is shaming the industry (in that I didn't have a card, and so I couldn't get the sale price -- a problem I solved by standing in front of the check out lines and loudly proclaiming my displeasure and my need for someone nearby to let me use their card to "fight-the-powers-that-be" [hey -- if I didn't really become an actor, at least I found a use for the training I got to project my voice]).

Either way I'm still going to treat this company as my convenience store (the main twice a month grocery shopping happens at Mariano's, 'cause I'm loyal that way, and 'cause they are building two more of them closer to me and mine in the 'hood), and this store can join the list of places-that-I-used-to-shop (yes, I'm trying to channel Gotye ...), like Strack and VanTil, Cub Foods, Karnes, Festival Foods, Giant Eagle, Giant (no eagle) and Weis (how's that for a geographic representation of my past lives).

Little bit of plastic that used to be smart enough to stop me from buying as much cheap Coke as I wanted (note:  I'm talking about pop/soda here ...), you will NOT be missed.

IT WASN'T SNOWDEN ... THEY WERE SOLD!:
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20130628/NEWS07/130629775/jewel-osco-ends-savings-card-fuel-rewards-programs

THEY JUST KEEP ON MULTIPLYING:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/suburbs/elmhurst/ct-tl-elmhurst-marianos-20130626,0,2102968.story

FUN WITH MAPS:
http://www.businessinsider.com/maps-showing-regional-supermarkets-2013-6
 

No comments:

Post a Comment