May 8, 2013

Random Wordplay for Wednesday 5/8/13

Chi-raq.

Used in a sentence:  "My name is Troy, and I live in Chi-raq."

[Note:  this could easily double as a Soapbox for Saturday ... but here comes a rant today instead ...]

First things first -- there are some who imply that this nickname for the violence plaguing certain neighborhoods in Chicago is disrespectful to those who have served overseas.  That is not my intent.

Second things second -- after trolling the interwebs, it seems that this may actually have been one of those phrases that has been embraced by the community causing the mayhem as a source of pride.  In that context, I agree -- it's disrespectful.  And sickening.  And someone's selling t-shirts like it's funny.  Unbelievable.

Third things third -- I'm also not kidding anyone.  I'm next to Wrigley, with plenty of police protection, and lots of fellow lower-middle-class dwellings.  (At least, I think I'm still lower-middle-class as opposed to the upper echelons of the upper-lower-class -- but, hey, that Great Recession was a doozy.)  Which, I think in this analogy, puts me in the well fortified green zone.  Just affirming that I recognize that fact.

Fourth things fourth -- I also recognize that the analogy puts gangs in the spot of Sunnis and Shiites.  But I think that fits.  Because if there's a second place on the list of things that inspire mass violence, money/greed easily goes there right behind religion.

Fifth things fifth (and finally) -- I stand by what I said almost two months ago.  It's time to call in the national guard (despite the April 1 police news conference -- really, April Fools Day was the day you chose to update the city on your murder-reduction progress?).  To be fair, I did also say that day that they should only come in after a deadline passed for community leadership to work together to solve the problem.

The temperature's getting warmer.  We need something drastic or the war zone mentality will continue.

CHIRAQ NEWS (THESE ARE NOT HAPPY STORIES):
http://chiraqnews.blogspot.com/

APRIL FOOLS -- WE'RE MAKING PROGRESS!:
http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/04/02/is-chicago-cops-new-strategy-driving-the-murder-rate-down/

WHERE (AND WHY) I CALLED FOR THE NATIONAL GUARD:
http://capcognition.blogspot.com/2013/03/random-scandal-sheet-for-sunday-31713.html

No comments:

Post a Comment