May 25, 2013

Random Soapbox for Saturday 5/25/13

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... I finally got to watch the finale of the most recent season of Ultimate Fighter (just before it expired from on-demand), and I have to tell you -- I'm just not sure how I feel about watching the ladies throw down.

Oddly enough, recognizing that I'm  feeling uncomfortable makes me feel even more uncomfortable, as I like to think that I support Title IX and gender equality and that little girls can grow up to be anything that they'd like to be (maybe even President one of these quadrennials).  Sure enough, though, supporting that in theory and in the abstract was much easier for me to do than to watch the fight itself.

Was it the reality of the violence and the fact that I've been conditioned all my life to picture girl fights as slaps and hair pulls (and, if so, shame on me for not elevating myself above the stereotypes)?  True, there are times when I wince as the guys get all bloodied (I'm happiest when someone is simply submitted, instead of the brutal bashing that is often on display) -- but, in general, it's a sport full of well conditioned athletes who have to be calculating and "in the moment" at all times, familiar with different combat styles and ready to mix it up like some martial arts choose-your-own-adventure story over the course of the matches.  And that challenge can be met and that athleticism can be achieved without gender restrictions.

[My biggest complaint about this sport applies here but also so much more to the world at large.  I'm so over "swagger".  Ready to retire it as a concept, as an aspirational goal, as a lifestyle.  I'm ready for someone to bring humility back to all avenues of life -- and in this arena (or octagon, to be more accurate), those that do are the fighters for whom I'll be cheering.]

I best get with the program -- as this particular show is touting female coaches and coed participants next season (although it is also moving to some new channel called FoxSports, which, I'm guessing, based on observation of its "news" division, might be limited to only airing in red states).  Time to man up (I mean woman up -- boy, sexism is everywhere, isn't it?) and sweep my feelings free of the glass ceiling shards that these pioneers rained down on my worldview.

GET WITH THE PROGRAM AND VIEW THE TOP FEMALE FIGHTERS:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1562011-ranking-each-of-the-ufcs-current-female-fighters

NOW *THIS* IS REALLY THE CUTTING EDGE:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mma--fallon-fox--transgender-mma-fighter-controversy-043035215.html

HERE COMES TUF 18, READY OR NOT!:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1635224-can-ronda-rousey-and-cat-zingano-take-the-ultimate-fighter-to-the-next-level

No comments:

Post a Comment