April 27, 2013

Random Soapbox for Saturday 4/27/13

I don't mean to go off on a rave here, but ...

... three cheers for the Northwestern engineering students who took on a project of helping penguins deal with bumblefoot (or would that be bumblefeet?) ...

[By the way, where did this month go?  It almost ended without me honoring my commitment to raving at least once a month with regards to my soapboxing (when I normally rant) in order to slow my eventual evolution into completely crotchety old man.]

Anyway -- this is not fake news -- but an actual project that was undertaken to figure out a way to deal with the bacterial infection that creates abscesses on the little feet of older penguins -- gotten from standing around on rocks for so long.

If you know me at all, you know that I sure do love me a penguin or two.  And penguins wearing penguin booties just raises the adoration factor exponentially.  One might argue that the minds of our best scientists should maybe be assigned to more pressing problems, but, since penguins are involved, I'm going to overlook any criticism and just cheer the result ... Huzzah!

THE PENGUIN BOOTIE STORY IN PRINT:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-03-29/news/ct-met-northwestern-penguins-20130329_1_shedd-aquarium-shedd-experts-animal-care

THE PENGUIN BOOTIE STORY IN VIDEO:
http://www.today.com/video/today/51402797#51402797

WARNING -- NASTY CHICKEN BUMBLEFOOT PICS:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/236618/my-bumblefoot-fix-did-i-do-it-right

No comments:

Post a Comment