April 15, 2013

Random Memorial for Monday 4/15/13

Gone but not forgotten:  our potential desensitivity to terror events.

To be clear, killers of 8 year olds are cowards, and my comments do not in any way ignore that fact.

What sickens me personally, is that after I heard the news and watched the early coverage, my first unfiltered thought was ... "not so many casualties and two small bombs -- must be amateurs".  It was as if, somehow, my mind was putting things in context in a post 9-11 world to give myself some degree of rationalization.

Now tonight watching the news is such a painful task -- I want to know more but I don't want to hear the "whisper-down-the-lane" reporting that is full of speculation and false leads and so on ... and my twisted imagination is working at full speed.  Was it domestic terrorism?  Someone unhappy with tax day?  Someone choosing Patriot's Day and Boston to make a point? (Just sayin' -- there was a party there once involving some tea.)  Or is this international in design?  North Korea making good on its threats (does Un-son-of-Il have a thing against the Celtics)?  Some well known group bringing IEDs to the homeland (ball bearings shooting out of homemade bombs sure sounds awfully Gulf-y)?  I hope it's not somehow traceable back to Dick Cheney (he sure does like a war) ... and, to be dreadfully honest, my biggest fear is that this was just "practice" for something bigger some time later.

Bottom line -- I get that terrorism of any kind is based on not knowing who did what and when it might happen again -- but come on cowards.  Come out and claim your victims.  We demand to know who advances his or her (or their) cause with the body of an eight year old boy.

I always finish my Monday posts with a quote ending in "you will be missed" ... but tonight, this seems more on point:  "Thoughts and prayers to the families of those who died, to the victims still fighting for their lives, to those injured of body, mind or spirit, to the strangers who rallied together in the moments after the bombings, and to the first responders dealing with the crisis."

NEWS THAT MAY OR MAY NOT BE CONFIRMED:
http://www.heavy.com/news/2013/04/boston-marathon-bomb-explosion/

OLD SCHOOL MEDIA FEED OF NEWS THAT MAY OR MAY NOT BE CONFIRMED:
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/04/live-updates-boston-marathon-explosion/

BOSTON MARATHON WEBSITE:
http://www.baa.org/






No comments:

Post a Comment