March 30, 2013

Random Soapbox for Saturday 3/30/13

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... I like to have a tactile experience when I read my magazines -- and digital is not going to cut it.

I know kids nowadays would say that moving one finger up or down or to the right or left on a screen is their version of a tactile experience, but I'm old school.  I want to turn the page, not have a pseudo-page-turning experience brought to me by the smart minds at a tech company.  I want to rip out an article to reference later -- or clip a new restaurant to put on the frig.  I want to throw something out when I'm done with it to feel like I accomplished the task I set out to do.

And don't get me started on those crafty people who turn books into art to hang on the wall.  They do so by sacrificing multiple pages that they fold into shapes and then they affix the whole monstrosity to the wall at an angle that makes it impossible to read.  I know that they don't recognize it at the Hague quite yet -- but it's a bibliocide of epic proportions, thousands and thousands of words senselessly slaughtered, never to be strung together to tell a story evermore.

So what's the genesis of this got-my-goat moment?  Now that TimeOutChicago has gone through a "change" that will take it off the presses and on to the interwebs exclusively, I'm upset.  Maybe one can approximate those experiences online, but that's not good enough for me.  Can someone please stop the future from happening so soon to little old me?  Don't stop the hard physical copies of that which I like to read!

THE GENESIS OF THIS GOT-MY-GOAT MOMENT:
http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/archives/2013/03/21/time-out-chicago-goes-strictly-digital-and-the-reader

SENSELESS SLAUGHTER FOR THE SAKE OF ART:
http://pinterest.com/peachykeen817/crafts-with-book-pages/

GOING DIGITAL DOESN'T GUARANTEE SURVIVAL:
http://www.foliomag.com/2013/all-good-print-magazines-go-digital-heaven-or-do-they#.UVorPaK-lDQ


No comments:

Post a Comment