March 25, 2013

Random Memorial for Monday 3/25/13

Gone but not forgotten (no, really!):  my years spent in law school.

So you may have seen my end of 2012 special series called "100 Things I've Always Wanted To Say But Never Did And Now Maybe Should Since The World Might Be Ending".  If you didn't, I let the supposed Mayan apocalypse serve as an artistic muse to provide me with a bit of reflection on where I've been, who I've met, what I've done -- and it was all couched in the idea that I was finally saying things that maybe I had never done.

Upon reflection, it turns out that not a single one of those hundred items referenced my time spent at Widener University School of Law in Harrisburg.  I'm not sure why those years were "blocked" from consciousness during my project -- maybe it was the amount of money I loaned to complete the task?  Or the fact that I actually left halfway through to pursue another degree at my undergrad alma-mater, returning after that break to buckle down and secure my JD (if there's one thing I like more than surprising people, it's proving them wrong when they think I'm "down for the count")?  Or that I did the night program and didn't really connect with many of my classmates?  Or that I skipped my graduation ceremony because I graduated in the off-semester and was already embarking on the move to Chicago, asking them to just mail me my degree to that new address?  Or that my writing style just didn't mesh with the way I was supposed to be writing to be successful in law school (IRAC anyone)?

I'm just not sure ... but my memories of days in the library and nights in the classrooms and afternoons sometimes spent outside on the benches trying to study and many times making the oh-so-frequent trips to the vending machines across the path that separated the buildings... and my thanks to Dean Fruth for helping me to get back on track after my study sabbatical ... and my authentically enjoyable classroom sessions with my favorite professors Kearney and Raeker-Jordan and Meadows and Dernbach ... although all of that was missed in my end-of-world ruminations, know that when it comes to the accounting of all that has made me who I am today, those things will ultimately not be missed (therein).  [I added that last word to sound more legal.]

SO I MAY NOT SAY IT ENOUGH, BUT I DID APPRECIATE MY TIME HERE:
https://law.widener.edu/

THAT'S RIGHT -- A JD DOESN'T ALWAYS MEAN A CAREER IN LAW:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/reneesylvestrewilliams/2012/11/22/nine-jobs-you-can-do-with-a-law-degree/

I AM A SMALL PART OF THE ONE TRILLION (BUT IT'S BIG FOR ME):
http://studentdebtcrisis.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment