March 18, 2013

Random Memorial for Monday 3/18/13

Gone but not forgotten:  2014 Wold Cup adjacent prostitutional transactions that aren't in English.

Sometimes I worry that I only find negative news stories for my posts.  But, today, I reverse that trend with something behind which we all can throw our support.  Look at these themes -- international recognition that English is the language of "love", tremendous foresight when it comes to event planning and (non-snarkily), increasing the skill set of those engaged in the oldest profession (which, I should point out, is legal in Brazil) so that they can negotiate appropriately and defend themselves against their customers as needed.

See more at the links, but just know that Brazilian prostitutes are learning English before the 2014 World Cup.  I was unable to locate a copy of the vocab quizzes, but I imagine they are not something I would have seen in my high school Word Wealth lessons.

The task of having to research on the internet such phrases like "pagar por sexo" before World Cup-ping next year, you will not be missed. (Well -- you will not be missed by those who plan to World Cup.  Or, more appropriately, by those who plan to World Cup next year.  Or, even more precisely, by those who plan to World Cup next year and to engage in sexual transactions with the local pretties.)

I DON'T KNOW WHY, BUT THE HEADLINE SURE CAUGHT MY EYE:
http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/01/10/brazilian-prostitutes-learning-english-before-2014-world-cup/

PROTECTION FOR SEX WORKERS IS NOT SO MUCH A LAUGHING MATTER:
http://www.iusw.org/

NOW YOU NO LONGER NEED THIS SITE TO PLAN YOUR EXTRA-CURRICULARS:
http://translation.babylon.com/english/to-portuguese/


No comments:

Post a Comment