February 9, 2013

Random Soapbox for Saturday 2/9/13

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... dearest ADD afflicted friends in charge of Facebook, may I suggest to your "agile team" (oh I know you have one -- all the cool businesses do.  It's one of those business school concepts that has infiltrated organizations -- like "finding mind-space" did 10 years ago ... or "finding out who moved the cheese" did 15 years ago) that you finally evolve the like button.  We need options.

I came to this conclusion when my father passed in early January, and when so many took the time to offer thoughts and prayers and well-wishes and comfort on the status update I had posted.  I made a point to "like" every comment, but then realized that I couldn't add color or context to my "like", so it seemed like I was "liking" the fact that they were sorry for my loss.  And I most certainly wasn't happy that they were sad on my behalf ... I just wanted to recognize that I "liked" that they expressed their thoughts.

So it got me thinking ... we need more "like" choices.  And as I age, I'm definitely more and more of a shades-of- grey (not the BDSM fad -- but hey, whatever floats your boat) vs. a-black-and-white person, so I'm seeking as much nuance as possible.  May I suggest:

LIKE-THAT-YOU-TOOK-THE-TIME-TO-COMMENT (for the scenario I just described)

LIKE-YOU-BUT-NOT-YOUR-COMMENT (which I understand is somewhat passive-aggressive, but hey, not all confrontation has value)

LIKE-SARCASTICALLY (because clearly if you knew me at all, you'd know that I don't like this one bit)

LIKE-BECAUSE-SOMEONE-TOLD-ME-TO or LIKE-UNDER-DURESS (and I'm a relatively polite person, so if it makes your business/project/pyramid-scheme look bigger than it is, well then -- what have I got to lose, count me to be a part of your artificially inflated statistics.  NOTE:  This also works for the obligatory birthday post that is prompted by FB and a normal person's desire to not seem rude when a name and picture shows up there in the corner of the display.)

and three that need no parenthetical explanation ...

LIKE-YOU-BECAUSE-YOU'RE-SO-PRETTY-AND-I-GET-TONGUE-TIED-AROUND-YOU-BUT-THANKS-TO-FACEBOOK-I-CAN-VIRTUALLY-STALK-YOU-WITH-MINIMAL-INTERACTION

LIKE-HOW-YOU-COMPLAIN-ABOUT-HOW-HORRIBLE-YOUR-LIFE-IS-AS-YOU-POST-FROM-THE-LATEST-SMART-PHONE-OVER-YOUR-HIGH-SPEED-INTERNET-CONNECTION

LIKE-HOW-CONFIDENT-YOU-ARE-IN-YOUR-EXTREMISM-THAT-YOU-DON'T-MIND-APPEARING-RACIST/SEXIST/AGEIST/BREEDIST/or otherIST

Let's go Facebook ... let's see some "like" button innovation!

ON AGILE TEAMS:
http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc9737/

ON MINDSPACE:
http://mindspaceclinic.com/

ON THE MOVING OF CHEESE:
http://www.whomovedmycheese.com/






No comments:

Post a Comment