February 16, 2013

Random Soapbox for Saturday 2/16/13

I don't mean to go off on a rave here, but ...

Christie's growing on me.

[Remember -- once a month, I'm committed to raving instead of ranting.  For my own health, if nothing else.]

Look -- I know that politics is polarizing.  And I've said it before, in my opinion, we're not a red state/blue state nation any more, but more a Country Mouse/City Mouse electorate.  Under that definition, my small town central PA upbringing melds nicely with my big city living experience of the last dozen years -- allowing me to pledge allegiance to an Independent status.  And I'm comfortable with the paradox that we have a system so perfectly constructed with its checks and balances and division of power that it's lasted as long as it has -- even though that perfectly constructed system with its checks and balances and division of power has led to ineffectual gridlock (which I blame less on the system and more on the fact that the concept of leadership as consensus building and compromise has been vilified by the 24 hour news cycle of far-directional [right and left] talking heads).

There's a certain independent spirit to the NJ governor that I'm beginning to appreciate more and more.  Can his bluntness slide to rudeness on occasion?  Sure.  Is there much I don't know about how he would change were he to throw his hat in the ring to run the country?  True.  But for now, I'm liking his choice to break free from party politics to push for Sandy clean-up, even if it angered the extremists who were willing to trample on "the people" to promote their presidential candidate at all costs -- and I'm enjoying someone who can be so honestly self-aware about who he is as a person (including his weight).

And let's chat about the poundage problem -- I so agree that it should not be a publicity stunt to take bets as to whether he would die during a term of office (not that it got to that level, but it seemed awfully close).  But it can be said that it is only fair to maybe pay special attention to his choice of running mate if he were to be part of a national election.  But hey, Taft made it through his whole term (including that one time where he allegedly got all 335 lbs of his frame stuck in a presidential bathtub).  And there are other reasons why I'd pay special attention to a VP choice -- for instance, if it were in the 2020 election, I'd be concerned that Tecumseh's curse might be resurrected (it's possible that Reagan successfully broke it -- for which W Bush should be grateful -- but ... maybe not).

Here's my take -- should Christie and Booker (now you see why I chose the photo I did) fight it out for NJ governor this year, I think it just might be a foreshadowing of what could come in 2016.  Time will tell ...

WHEN HE STARTED TO GET MY RESPECT:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/02/opinion/avlon-christie-sandy-aid

WHEN HE STARTED TO KEEP MY RESPECT:
http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/national/chris-christie-connie-mariano-weight-controversy-new-jersey-governor-tells-her-to-shut-up

THE HOTTEST RACE OF 2013 COULD BE A REDUX IN 2016:
http://www.policymic.com/articles/20293/chris-christie-vs-cory-booker-the-hottest-race-of-2013


No comments:

Post a Comment