January 19, 2013

Random Soapbox for Saturday 1/19/13

I don't mean to go off on a rave here, but ...

... the Wayans family is a national treasure.

[And really quick -- today's a rave and not a rant, because I decided to carry forth the tradition I started last year with this set of posts, being certain to rave at least once a month, just because I think it will slow down my inevitable evolution into an angry old man.]

I reached this epiphany whilst watching the recent TVGuide where-are-they-now special on In Living Color (we're halfway through the 20th anniversary of their '90-'94 run).  Being a TV addict (more so than a mega-movie-goer), I'm naturally more drawn to the Damon branch, as I'm most familiar with My Wife and Kids and 413 Hope St and the Underground and, keeping it current, Happy Endings.  (P.S. -- if you missed 413 Hope St, you missed a peek inside the humanity that powers the humor in this group ...)

I could go on and on about the things I like about them (this is a rave after all -- not the glow-sticky drug-and-dance-all-night-in-a-warehouse variety, but more like a series of increasingly emphatic exhortations filled with superlatives) ... like their ultra-quick-wittedness (just as enjoyable as their packaged creative output is watching them in any interview reacting off the cuff) ... or their loyalty in choosing those with whom they work (it's not nepotism when every single family member has that kind of talent, but I'm mostly referring to their recurring cast of non-family members that populate project after project) ... or their closeness as a family (they always talk about sleeping together -- not incestuously, but in the style of Willy Wonka everybody-in-one-bed).

This week brought us the latest iteration, as Second Generation Wayans launched on BET.  The bar is raised high, Damien D and Craig (and look -- there's George O Gore II, proving my earlier point about loyalty) ... here's hoping you represent this national treasure well!

THAT WHICH I WATCHED WHEN I HAD THIS EPIPHANY:
http://www.tvguide.com/News/In-Living-Color-1057025.aspx

THAT WHICH I'LL BE WATCHING TO SEE THE LATEST GENERATION:
http://www.bet.com/shows/second-generation-wayans.html

THAT WHICH I FOUND ON THE INTERNET TO HELP ME KEEP THEM ALL STRAIGHT:
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/05/21/keep-your-wayans-straight-with-this-wayans-family-tree/

No comments:

Post a Comment