December 18, 2012

Random Tune for Tuesday 12/18/12

It's the holidays!

And I have to tell you that this holiday song still brings a lump to my throat each time I hear it.

I couldn't find the actual Garth Brooks version on the youtube, so I had to settle for a cover ... but it still has the same effect.

[And nitpickers, note that I'm aware that it's a fictional version of the battle of Belleau Woods that dramatizes the Christmas Truce of 1914 -- give a creative type a break, right -- dramatic license and all.]

It's such a powerful image -- factions putting the business of war aside to join in singing "Silent Night", finding out that there is more that unites us than divides us, demonstrating that there can be light amidst all the darkness.

Seems like a fitting song for these times ...

HERE'S HOPING WE BOTH LIVE TO SEE US FIND A BETTER WAY:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtIZpwjlwc8

No comments:

Post a Comment