December 14, 2012

Random Flashback for Friday 12/14/12

[First, a disclaimer -- I'm in the midst of a two day happy holiday fun weekend with family in Chicago, so all of my Facebook updates today have been consistent with that tone.  But now that I've seen the news, I feel compelled to say that my thoughts are with those families now facing down the tragedy in Connecticut.  There simply are no sufficient words to assuage the shock of this moment, but I offer this reminder to never waste a chance to say that you love your loved ones.]

And with that somber opening, maybe it is fitting that the flashback for today captures so well the innocence of youth.

After all, it's (still) the holidays ... and thus the setting for this most recent series of photos is on point as it was introduced two Fridays ago (my father's post-fourth-divorce house that was actually where his fourth-ex-wife lived with her first husband before she had married my Dad [and how can this NOT be a Lifetime movie yet?]), and since he was between marriages, he was hosting the holiday get-together in late 1992 that year.  [I'm trying to not sound too snarky -- it's just that they are the words that fit the facts.]

Those photographed -- my nephew Kirk and niece Kylene, midway through a spirited game of some kind after gifts had been unwrapped (and even though Kylene's back is turned, you can tell she's in full giggle mode).  Of course, they are all grown up and adults now dealing with adult sized issues -- but frozen here in time on film, they are carefree innocents.

So again, I say, particularly after a day like today in America ... be sure to love your loved ones!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment