October 13, 2012

Random Soapbox for Saturday 10/13/12

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... why don't poor people obey basic traffic laws?

Look -- I don't want to come off as one of Mitt's kids, and, post-Great-Recession, I recognize that I moved to the bottom of the middle class strata, and I'm holding on desperately to that social status dream paycheck by paycheck ... but putting that  attempt to absolve myself from the way this might sound aside ...

There's a certain stretch of Broadway in Chicago in the Uptown 'hood (near what will be the second newest Target in town once the one on State Street opens), where it is the wild west when it comes to basic traffic rules.  Folks don't go across the street crosswalk ... lanes mean nothing ... parking restrictions are ignored ... bicyclists pretend to be cars ... and now it's moved beyond basic lawbreaking as gang members are shooting each other's penises off (see lead story below) -- which may or may not be related to the police getting shot at this weekend as well (see second story).

Is it that poor people have just given up and since life is so bad they have a death wish and choose to walk out in front of my car as I drive by?  Or do they take the attitude that the "system's" to blame and so they'll check out of the "system"?  I'm determined to get to the bottom of this -- if only to hedge my bets should I ever join them as a poor person in that 'hood (although I think "leaving Chicago" would be the preferred action to take if it gets that bad ...)

NO -- NOT THE PENIS!:
http://www.chicagonewsreport.com/2012/09/males-penis-nearly-shot-off-in-uptown.html

EVEN THE COPS ARE UNDER ATTACK!:
http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/19811245/bullets-hit-squad-car-in-uptown-police-shootout

BUT IT CAN BE SALVAGED (MAYBE?):
http://www.uptownupdate.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment