September 8, 2012

Random Soapbox for Saturday 9/8/12


I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... do you know what the difference is between these two windows of the new car?

The answer I'm looking for is not that they were obviously taken from slightly different angles (as can be seen by the items reflected in the glass) ... but instead ... the difference is ... about a quarter of a million dollars.

Look -- I've been going back to school for most of my whole life.  Excepting my pre-K years from 72-76, that theater internship I had in 92, and my adult life between 01 and 03 when I was in a job other than the one I have currently, which is a company that rallies around back to school to interact with our customers, that totals to 31 of my 40 years when I've been focused during this time of year on back to school rituals.

As I was not and am not independently wealthy, I would like to pause to briefly thank the government for financing the 90's of my life, and, having accepted that I am the next bubble to burst, to ask those in government (whether it changes or not by the end of this year), to continue to work toward some plan that would make this debt that seems like Monopoly money much more manageable.

By the way -- I am quite fond of your IBRs and I like the number 10 (rumored to be in the works) much more than the number 25 (the current best IBR plan that is offered), should you want my opinion as you go about your work.

To be clear, I wouldn't have written my story any other way and I am grateful for the time I spent in the educational system.  I'm just looking to clean up this messy messy student loan morass -- sooner, rather than later.

I'M A PART OF THE ONE TRILLION:
http://www.npr.org/2012/04/24/151305380/student-loan-debt-exceeds-one-trillion-dollars

IBR -- LET's CANCEL AFTER 10 INSTEAD OF AFTER 25, EH?:
http://studentaid.ed.gov/sites/default/files/income-based-repayment.pdf

THE NEXT TIME BOMB:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/48148304/Student_Debt_America_s_1_Trillion_Time_Bomb


No comments:

Post a Comment