July 27, 2012

Random Flashback for Friday 7/27/12

Some folks are just ahead of their time.

This photo is of Skip, my mom's partner (who has since passed on), from twenty years ago ... and the task at hand, according to the back of the picture, is "recreational mining".

I've rarely been west of the Mississippi (once just across the river to Turkey-something-or-other Missouri, a few times these past few years for the annual trips to Palm Springs, and just a week ago to Las Vegas for work), but my mom's been enjoying the nouveau Wild Wild West for many years (she currently resides in Montana) -- and I've been exposed to the beauty of the area through the pictures she's sent to me (and the Louis L'Amour western Time Life books that she used to have delivered to me once a month when I was much younger).

I see this picture, and besides thinking it was probably a good time, I think that Skip should have been a part of the Discovery Channel series chronicling those who learn how to "gold rush" on the job -- if only those kind of reality shows were around in 1992.

No comments:

Post a Comment