May 18, 2012

Random Flashback for Friday 5/18/12

You can almost make it out on my shirt (once you get past the silly grin on my face ... and clearly this was in my backwards hat wearing phase to hide my mop of curly hair) ... but this 20 year old flashback is of my time returning to the Hugh OBrian Youth Foundation.

I had first done HOBY representing my high school in 10th grade.  And it had been a very interesting influence on my development (as I hinted at in my post this past Monday) ... as it was where I finally began to develop some confidence and self-esteem and realized that there was a whole world outside of my situation.  [As per usual, it was drama filled in that my father's wife of the time tried to pull my participation at the last minute, but it is one of the few times I can remember that my dad actually stood up to her and said that I was going.]  That was 10th grade and 1987.

This picture is of my return to the organization in 1992 as a staff assistant who worked the HOBY store and who was designated PMA (that's person in charge of Positive Mental Attitude -- which meant a lot of cheering and random  craziness and a lost voice by the end of the weekend).  Those who aren't familiar are probably thinking this is beginning to sound like a cult ... but rest assured it's a quality experience investing in the leaders of tomorrow.  I couldn't have been more proud to be involved (and I continued to be for four more years, before life circumstances took me out of the mix) and I reflect fondly on being able to "give back" by working with the "youth" (who weren't much younger than I was ...).  [And ... based on posts I've read on Facebook, the 2012 Central PA conference is happening back home this same weekend, so my thoughts are with all of them.]

And this is only for those in the know ... but it was truly OUTSTANDING!


No comments:

Post a Comment