March 10, 2012

Random Soapbox for Saturday 3/10/12



I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...



... not cool, American Education Services ... not cool!



It was a one page piece of paper that arrived in the mail with the heading "THIS LETTER IS FOR YOUR INFORMATION ONLY", with very little other print than this summary sentence at the end: "WHAT THIS MEANS TO YOU: The loan(s) listed on the reverse side of this letter have been paid in full as a result of this payment."



My first thought -- I have a benefactor, and he or she just took care of my substantial student loan debt. My second thought -- I wonder if said benefactor will have a back story as rich as Miss Havisham's (I am a strange child). My third thought -- the latest stimulus package had been announced, and they chose to start with me, and this was how they were notifying me. My fourth thought -- someone back home works at the agency and found a way to hit a button and erase my situation. My fifth thought -- I should probably take a closer look at this letter.



Which brings me to my "not cool" part of the story -- for this one page letter arriving in winter of 2011/2012 was notification that, in May 2007 when I consolidated, all of my existing loans were "paid off" in order to create the massive one that was still owed. Why the sent this notification some five years after the paperwork went through -- I have no idea!



So again, I say ... not cool, American Education Services, not cool.



GREAT EXPECTATIONS CLIFF NOTES TYPE SITE FOR OTHER MISS HAVISHAM FANS:




THE BUBBLE WILL BURST AND ECONOMY WILL BE CRIPPLED:




WITHOUT A BENEFACTOR, IBR IS MY BEST BET:

No comments:

Post a Comment