November 30, 2011

Random Wordplay for Wednesday 11/30/11

Food Show Faux Pas.

Used in a sentence: "I love me some competition reality foodie shows, but two recent episodes (one of Top Chef and one of Next Iron Chef) left me with a bad taste in my mouth -- I know I definitely witnessed some Food Show Faux Pas (turns out that phrase is both plural and singular in print [it's pronounced differently if you're reading this out loud to your family] -- thanks, Frenchies!)."

The offensive scenes ...

... on Top Chef (Texas), there was a quick fire challenge using snake meat. The problem -- a snake was in an aquarium in the kitchen having to watch the culinary challenge unfold in front of him -- like sad family members who have to watch in silence as zombies feast on a loved one. (I also like me some post-apocalyptic shows like Walking Dead and Falling Skies and American Horror Story [not sure what apocalypse that's post, but it's in the same family if you ask me], so much show that when Lori peed on a stick and figured out she was pregnant, I had to force myself to cross off a Skitter and the RubberMan as potential fathers).

... and on Next Iron Chef, there was an "ingenuity" challenge using movie theatre snack bar treats. The Chef who drew gummi bears poured them into a pan and began to melt them en masse -- the camera lingered on the group gummi bear immolation, their little faces melting too quickly to yell out for help. All in all, it was a scarring scene of gummi bear genocide.

I'm just sayin' ...

AN IRON CHEF RECAP FOR EACH EPISODE BY A DEDICATED FAN:
http://blog.chron.com/tubular/2011/11/nextironchef-10929/

PADMA DID HAVE THE BEST LINE OF THE EPISODE:
http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-11-17/news/30412309_1_snake-ty-lor-top-chef

FAUX PAS AS PER THE GRAMMARIST:
http://www.grammarist.com/usage/faux-pas/

No comments:

Post a Comment