November 14, 2011

Random Memorial for Monday 11/14/11

Gone but not forgotten: my favorite toothpicks.

It's not just part of my social uniform (if you see me out, chances are there's a toothpick in my mouth -- and before you crack a joke at my expense about an oral fixation, just know that I've been doing it for years -- and I've finally graduated from erasers to pencils to pens to picks over my lifetime). My affinity to pick my teeth is part of my dental hygiene process, and my new dentist (new as in she took over the office I used to go to and new as in she's just out of dental school and took her NBDEs not that long ago) approves. (She also told me how bad she was at flossing in an ill-fated attempt to establish rapport and tried to match the color of my last filling to the natural discoloration that was going on in my mouth, so maybe it's time to find a veteran dentist.)

But now that my brand is no longer made (Dolly supplied the last box from the Walmart a few months ago), I'm stuck with some approximation of a sturdy plastic toothpick with a tickler on the end of it that doesn't hold up to the rigor of my cleaning activities.

[Although it's still better than the wooden toothpicks, which used to splinter in a way that I then needed another toothpick to pick the toothpick out of my teeth.]

Plastic implement that used to satisfy me, you are sorely missed.

AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THE "THROWPICKS":
http://www.garyspeer.com/800/when-does-a-toothpick-become-a-throwpick/

THESE JUST AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Doctor-S-Interdental-Toothpicks-Brushpicks-250-CT/10997207

WHAT OTHERS DO WITH TOOTHPICKS (more power to them):
http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2011/04/one-man-100000-toothpicks-and-35-years-scott-weavers-rolling-through-the-bay/

No comments:

Post a Comment