November 11, 2011

Random Flashback for Friday 11/11/11



This is me hedging my bets. Because I've been to visit my biological father in a nursing home, and he's surrounded by photo albums, where he (approaching 90) is now trying to tag the photos (the old fashioned way -- by writing in an album, not like the kids do on FB) and I'm afraid he's getting a good many of the shots wrong.


So, to make sure that I don't do the same (since I am rapidly approaching 40), here's my nephew Nicolas who just turned 20 last month. Mind you I don't think I've ever met him (my family is dispersed across the country), but I have followed him by way of pictures throughout his life. And I have a feeling this will bring a smile to his momma's face when she sees it.


And just two other notes vis-a-vis my father's nursing home behavior. I recently posted pictures of my visit with him this past May (on FB in the "How I Spent My Summer Vacation 2011" albums, and one photo is of his bed. I don't know if he does this every day or if it was just because I was visiting, but there's a shot of how all of his arts and crafts were displayed on it -- including an angel he made that says "My Mary". That "Mary" is my mother (it was his 2nd wife of five -- but that's for a book that most will think is fiction that is yet to be written) and I have to say it was quite the somewhat poignant surprise.


Second note -- my father served in World War II. So ... it seemed fitting to think of him this Veteran's Day ... as well as all the others who served before and after him, from my family or yours. A moment of silence for those who sacrifice for our freedoms ...

No comments:

Post a Comment