October 26, 2011

Random Wordplay for Wednesday 10/26/11

BRCA.

Used in a sentence, "The beauty of acronyms is that they can stand for so many things -- take BRCA, for example".

On the serious tip, BRCA is the gene that can harmfully mutate and lead to an increased risk of cancer -- particularly breast cancer. And as this designated awareness month wraps -- the instruction to be informed and to practice regular self examination should carry forward year round.

Thanks to the wonders of the internet, I can also search acronyms and discover that BRCA sometimes stands for the Brazilian Rodeo Cowboys Association. I got nothing else to say about that, just that I don't want anyone to get confused when I use it below.

For me, I'm specifically using BRCA to refer to the following Belated Randomness, Countdowns and Asides, as I sometimes back myself into a corner and fall behind on concepts to which I'm committed. So ... here's me catching up:

UN -- last Friday marked the fact that only 425 days remain until the end of the Mayan calendar and our journey to the other side of the galaxy. I just want to be ready (I haven't stopped paying my bills or bought any billboards, yet -- just in case you're starting to worry about my new haphazard obsession).

DEUX -- here's three things I learned from last week's episode (10.16) in my overdue Amazing Race Aside:

1.) To avoid being in a situation like how all scary movies start, know the difference between North and South when navigating a boat into strange waters (right Ernie and Cindy?)!

2.) It doesn't matter what country you are in, "Amis" are funny to locals when performing these tasks, as evidenced by the pure joy on the faces of those watching events unfold.

3.) If an ex-NFL player gets tired out trying to plant coral just a bit offshore in the ocean, then it is most certainly not for out-of-shape me.

TROIS -- and here's three things I learned from the most recent episode in my more timely Amazing Race Aside:

1.) It's floutist. Or is it flutist? Or is it fluter? Maybe "he (or she) who plays the flute" is safest to say.

2.) I now think that Max might have sailed solo around the world to get away from his douche of a Dad.

3.) In Bangkok, "a dog ate my homework" can easily be replaced with "a teacher took my clue".

Okay ... now I feel caught up (and my self-exams on my cancer susceptible body parts didn't turn up anything) ... I can sleep better tonight!

ALSO THE BRITISH RADIO CAR ASSOCIATION:
http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/BRCA

BE INFORMED -- PERFORM YOUR SELF EXAMS:
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/BRCA

A MIX OF MOOS AND MUSIC, THEY SAY:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=13947516

No comments:

Post a Comment