October 3, 2011

Random Memorial for Monday 10/3/11

Gone but not forgotten: Andy Rooney's musings on 60 Minutes.

First of all, may I be gainfully employed at something I love when I reach the age of 92. Or, actually, null of all (is that what comes before first?), may I live to at least see the age of 92 (I'm 43.2% of the way there!). Admittedly, I only saw Andy regularly of late because of the frequent overrun in programming that meant I had to DVR my Amazing Race* to include a broader swath of CBS Sunday nights ... but I do reflect on these last 2+ years of my own postings and consider them to have a touch of Rooney's tendency to ramble about the random.

[The full recipe also takes my capriciousness and adds a pinch of the proclivity for the obscure reference a la Dennis Miller (and Saturday's soapbox rants are in homage to him before he started sleeping with Bill O'Reilly) plus a dash of Larry King's old USA Today column of disparate thoughts.]

The visual image I had each week to inspire me to reconsider my usual negatory answer when the barber-ess asks if she should "do my eyebrows" after I get my haircut, you will be missed.

*Speaking of which, here is this week's Amazing Race Aside with 3 things I learned from last night's episode:

1.) When panhandling (even if for a worthy cause like to donate to an orphanage), it's best to get the "kind that folds and not the kind that jingles".

2.) Just like in the business in which I'm employed (test prep), it is key to read the directions (on the sign) before you complete the task at hand.

3.) The next time I get frustrated by having to stand on my 'el' ride on Chicago's public transportation, I will think of the folks who rode on the top of the train in Indonesia and quit my bitchin'.

GROUCH-IN-CHIEF, THEY SAY LOVINGLY -- AND NOW I HAVE A NEW ASPIRATION:
http://articles.cnn.com/2011-10-02/entertainment/showbiz_andy-rooney_1_andy-rooney-chocolate-chip-cookies-final-essay?_s=PM:SHOWBIZ

HERE's NORM MCDONALD SPOOFING THE USA TODAY COLUMN OF LARRY KING:
http://joelmathis.blogspot.com/2011/02/remember-larry-king-old-usa-today.html

AN AVERAGE OF ONE DEATH EVERY TWO WEEKS:
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hq0lPrzEgw9ibngEGga3vdIJFPiQ

No comments:

Post a Comment