August 4, 2011

Random Thought for Thursday 8/4/11

The conversation, after I deciphered the thick accent on the other end of the line, went like this:

HER: We found a skin tear on one of his toes.
ME: What?
HER: We found a skin tear on one of his toes.
ME: This is a strange phone call.
HER: Ralph.
ME: This is Troy.
HER: On Ralph's toe. We found a skin tear.
ME: Okay.
HER: Good night.
ME: Wait ... that's it? That's the only reason you called?
HER: We have to inform you.
ME: Okay. So is he bleeding out?
HER: No, we took care of it.
ME: Well then, kiss it and make it all better.
HER: (Laugh.) Okay.

The context -- the nursing home where my biological father now resides is apparently obligated to inform me every time they find something that others might interpret as abuse. I imagine they are covering themselves legally -- but this seems like a really minor update to provide me, halfway across the country, by a random out of the blue phone call with little context provided.

I guess I just have to hope that the next phone call isn't the one that tells me they are cutting it off!

HIS PLACE IS WONDERFUL, BUT BE WARNED:
http://www.nursinghomealert.com/recognitionofabuse/otherwarningsigns.html

FILIPINOS HAVE SUED FOR DISCRIMINATION BASED ON THICK ACCENTS:
http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/global-filipino/03/02/11/filipino-nurse-says-hospital-bribed-him-stay-quiet

SO NOW THAT I'VE SEEN PICTURES, MAYBE IT'S WORSE THAN I THOUGHT!:
http://www.woundcarespray.com/25/elderly-skin-tear/

No comments:

Post a Comment