July 6, 2011

Random Wordplay for Wednesday 7/6/11

Rock snot.

Used in a sentence: "When I read about this issue the other day, I'd be lying if I didn't admit that my mind wandered back to 5th/6th grade at Southeast Elementary when we all played "Snot-man" at recess (hey -- we were kids, it was a pre-video-game world, and we entertained ourselves by calling "tag with a base" by some other name) ... but my introduction to this concept is actually legitimate as I've learned that felt-sole waders are being banned by states because they carry didymo (or "rock snot"), an algae that is spreading from river to river."

Apparently Maryland was the first state to ban this gear used by fishermen -- but Vermont soon followed and Alaska will do so starting New Year's Day, 2012 (and Idaho, Oregon and Nevada have all tried). I think I can say that I've never been fishing (not that there's anything wrong with that lifestyle, mind you), so I can't really have much of an opinion (really -- me? with no opinion?) -- but for those of you who enjoy a life in or about the water, be informed and keep the didymo-rock snot to yourself, please!

THOU SHALT NOT WEAR FELT SHOES IN THE WATER:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/environment/2011-04-28-rock-snot-felt-sole-wader-ban_n.htm

NO, REALLY, THOU SHALT NOT WEAR FELT SHOES IN THE WATER:
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-buzz/2011/02/footwear_blamed_for_rock_snot.html

... BECAUSE HERE IS WHAT THE ROCK SNOT LOOKS LIKE!:
http://www.fish.state.pa.us/water/habitat/ans/didymo/faq_didymo.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment