June 4, 2011

Random Soapbox for Saturday 6/4/11

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... I'm increasingly more and more frustrated in that my new phone is apparently smarter than I am.

I was perfectly happy with my "dumb" phone. I knew how to do exactly what I wanted to do (which was to make and answer calls and to text when I wanted to -- like on holidays, or when I didn't want to speak to someone, or when I was inebriated -- just like all the kids do). I could care less that the "camera" on it turned out the same quality of photo as people who have "proof of Bigfoot". I knew how it charged, how to flip it open (to the sound of snickering from those in the i-cult) to activate it ... my life was good.

And then, as if someone at my provider flipped a switch, my screen on that phone went blank. And, because I had to for work, I "upgraded" to a smart phone that I must now admit is more intelligent than I -- and that is the point when my cell-life fell apart (and, with unfortunate timing, it was while I was travelling on my trip back east over a long Memorial Day holiday weekend).

My friends at Motorola and AT&T apparently thought that I wanted to know the temperature in my last location on my phone (although, it updates on a 24 hour delay, so I'm really seeing the weather for where I was yesterday). And my Facebook contacts were dumped in to my new phone, meaning I now have to scroll through the names of dozens of people I'd never be calling or texting just to find the one that I would -- only then to discover that the "sim" card (which stands for subscriber identity module -- and not to revisit the chicken-little-rapture stories of the past few months, but I'm thinking it could just as easily be the mark of the beast) apparently uploaded contact information from years ago. And my touch screen often doesn't recognize my touch (which only serves to resurrect my mostly modern bathroom inspired existential mini-dilemmas of trying to figure out if I really exist [triggered when the faucet and the paper towel dispenser pretend I'm not standing in front of it]).

So now it lays there ... taunting me, almost whispering that it is full of features that younger kids would use to maximize their interaction with the increasingly virtual world. And I just wait for it to ring, desperately hoping that I'll know how to answer it when it does so ...

[P.S. I'm still years away from a Teddy Kaczynski moment, so don't be alarmed or call the feds after reading this rant ...]

IF SIM CARD IS TO MARK OF BEAST, THEN ANTICHRIST IS TO ... THIS GROUP?:
http://www.gi-de.com/en/index.jsp

THE BRAVO IS THE BANE OF MY EXISTENCE AT THE MOMENT:
http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Mobile-Phones/Motorola-BRAVO-with-MOTOBLUR-US-EN?localeId=33

TED KACZYNSKI'S ANTI TECHNOLOGY MANIFESTO:
http://cyber.eserver.org/unabom.txt

No comments:

Post a Comment