June 25, 2011

Random Soapbox for Saturday 6/25/11

I don't mean to go off on a rave here, but ...

... (yep, doesn't happen too often, but too much ranting hurts my soul) ...

... I'm a few weeks overdue in talking about one of my favorite TV shows back for its mini-season. If you connect the dots between many of my posts, you'll know that I watch a lot of television. And for every Hell's Kitchen or ANTM, there's got to be an Independent Lens or an Amazing Race to balance it all out.

Or ... a Men of a Certain Age. I dedicated a mini-theme-week of Certain Age related posts back in my birthday week of January 2010, and I was silently enjoying the new episodes until catching the one entitled "League of Their Owen". Poignant, insightful, wryly comedic -- all present in scene after well-crafted scene. Nothing captures the conversations of lifelong best male friends better -- and it's the moments of "real life" in between the mid-life shenanigans that hit home the hardest.

Ray, Andre, Scott (and the actors who portray the friends and family that surround and ground you) -- my hat is off to you and the writers who delight me every week. And then there's the soundtrack ... and I'll close with the same song that ended that episode, tying together all of the characters in an oh-so-perfect way: as a fan, I'm proud to Hold [My] Head Up ..

"And if it's bad,don't let it get you down, you can take it. And if it hurts, don't let them see you cry, you can make it. And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on you moving. And if they shout, don't let them change a thing that you're doing. Hold your head up, hold your head up, hold your head up, hold your head high!"

THE LONG VERSION OF THIS CLASSIC ROCK ANTHEM:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBnSWJHawQQ

ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THAT WHICH I AM RAVING:
http://www.tnt.tv/series/menofacertainage/

OTHERS AGREE -- IT WAS THE BEST EPISODE YET!:
http://www.salon.com/entertainment/tv/feature/2011/06/16/men_of_a_certain_age_season_2_a_league_of_one_s_owen

No comments:

Post a Comment