April 13, 2011

Random Wordplay for Wednesday 4/13/11

The Long War.

Used in a sentence: "I hate it when I miss out on a major announcement [like when Pluto gets downgraded or it's announced that the world now has five oceans instead of four (and how embarrassing that I learned that decade old news on an episode of Kate Plus 8 -- thanks for introducing me to the Southern Ocean)] -- and how did I miss this in 2006 when it was decided that we should refer to the bundle of military activities that are starting to sound more and more like this generation's crusades as 'The Long War'".

Of course, I would have rather that it all have ended when The Cold War thawed in my youth, and it turns out that Rumsfield's decision to use this phrasing isn't new. (Historically, it's also referred to when the Hapsburgs battled the Ottomans and it's some other academic's suggestion to describe all of the wars of the 20th century.)

As all of these conflagrations has no end in sight, I guess it is all aptly named.

A SLIDESHOW THAT's BEEN DECLASSIFIED?:

FROM THIS AGENCY, A LOBBYIST GROUP (WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR BIAS IN THE ABOVE:

IT WAS ANNOUNCED IN 2006 -- NOTHING LIKE 5 YEAR OLD NEWS!:

No comments:

Post a Comment