March 12, 2011

Random Soapbox for Saturday 3/12/11

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... I want me some damn chicken and waffles.

I'm getting bombarded everywhere -- IHOP has a special on it right now (and there's an IHOP just a spit and a holler away from where I live in Chicago). The new Sunday night reality show The Next Great Restaurant (it's on before the train wreck edition of Apprentice -- just 'cause it's a train wreck, doesn't mean I'm not gonna watch it) features a contestant pushing that as his fast casual chain restaurant idea. What with all this chicken and waffle buzz, I pulled out the menu to the local diner delivery place and got excited when I saw it in front of me.

Turns out -- it was the great chicken and waffle tease of 2011. All three of these places serve FRIED chicken NEXT to a waffle COVERED in honey or syrup! I mean -- come on! WTW (as in what the waffle)!

My PA Dutch adjacent upbringing tells me that the waffles get covered in a light gravy that's full of chicken pieces. And I can't find that anywhere! I've been culinarily coddled with Lebanon Bologna at the local Strack and Van Tils ... and Tastikakes [spellcheck warning -- it suggested I replace this with the word Testicles] imported from the East Coast at the Philly's Best that delivers to me. I think I'm going to have to go to Indiana's Amish country to be chicken-and-waffle-satisfied (or --gasp-- wait until I'm back in PA over Memorial Day weekend or --double-gasp-- try to make it myself)!

I am not pleased.

SEE -- TERI KNOWS WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!:
http://teriskitchen.com/padutch/chickwaffles.html

IHOP -- WTW?!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eInIXmYEHLw

JAMAWN FROM DETROIT -- WTW?!:
http://www.nbc.com/americas-next-great-restaurant/bios/jamawn-j-woods/

No comments:

Post a Comment