March 7, 2011

Random Memorial for Monday 3/7/11

Gone but not forgotten: Great Communicator Ronald Reagan.

My DVR is full right now with hours of programming honoring what would have been Reagan's 100th birthday -- American Experience on PBS ran a four hour documentary, HBO had another one last month, the History Channel (which lately seems to be mighty fine with recreating history) had a special and even Lifetime kicked in with a Nancy Reagan interview. And, look, I'm not taking sides in the debate over Reaganomics or Star Wars or that scandal where Ollie North smuggled documents out of his office in his secretary's underwear ...

.. but I do miss his actorly ability to communicate with the American public. He was the first president that I can recall growing up (I was too young to know much about Carter) and no matter whether your blood bleeds red or blue or the very modern color of tea, he had a way with words that rallied a nation.

And I just stumbled on this quote of his on political pragmatism that spoke to me as partisanship continues to lead to inexcusable gridlock: "I'd rather get 80% of what I want than to go over the cliff with my flag flying." You'll find me in the middle of the independents when it comes to a party allegiance -- but action and progress strike me as admirable goals for our leaders if you ask me.

He who made great proclamations like "Mr. Gorbachev ... tear ... down ... this ... wall", you are missed.

REAGAN AT 100 -- A FEW QUOTES:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2011/feb/3/reagan-100-fdr-prayer-god-pragmatism-smoking/#

LIMITED GOVERNMENT, FREE MARKETS and PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY:
http://www.unitedliberty.org/articles/7725-happy-birthday-ronald-reagan

CAPITALISM AT ITS BEST:
http://www.jellybelly.com/shop/shopmain.aspx?CategoryID=Reagan

No comments:

Post a Comment