December 23, 2010

Random Thought for Thursday 12/23/10

It's the holidays, which can be an odd mix of emotions. If I promise to hit the high notes on Saturday, please permit me to be a bit maudlin tonight (and if you're not a fan of holiday melancholy, then move along as there's nothing else to see here). Cherish the moments you have with loved ones and honor those traditions you have with family and friends, because things change all too quickly. Children age, loved ones pass on and pets are with us for such a short time.

I'm headed to a family celebration with two of three nephews who won't be in attendance (one's starting a new life and new traditions with his fiance and another is wrapping up basic training) in a car that once had a pit bull who would drool on my shoulder waiting for his last bite of whatever item I got at the only Hardees in traveling distance from the city on the Indiana turnpike (RIP Demon) to exchange gifts that are no longer wrapped soap-opera style (in a box with the lid wrapped separately) like my "grandma" Joann used to do.

As one of my favorite holiday tunes goes: "May the new year be blessed with good tidings' til the next time I see you again ... If we must say goodbye, let the spirit go with you 'til the season comes 'round again."

Don't get it twisted ... I still put HAPPY and MERRY in front of my holiday greetings. It's more like a respectful moment of silence on this silent night.

WARNING -- THE NOTES SAY THAT VINCE GILL HAS A BAD COLD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3KZrEn90ao

HOW TO WRAP GIFTS LIKE IN THE SOAPS (or STORIES, regionally):
http://www.ehow.com/how_4897343_gift-wrap-box-lid.html

SAMPLE THIS POET's EXPRESSION OF HOLIDAY MELANCHOLY:
http://slstellingstories.com/tag/holiday-melancholy/

No comments:

Post a Comment